FACIAL PSORIASIS TREATMENT
Facial psoriasis is a chronic and common condition which is difficult to treat as facial skin is thinner and more sensitive. Almost half the patients with psoriasis are affected with facial psoriasis and it is very rare to come across psoriasis only on the face. It can often be mistaken for eczema or dermatitis. Due to facial involvement which is difficult to cover up, it poses psychological challenges for the patient.
Psoriasis on Face Symptoms
The rash can be seen at the margins of the scalp, head, eyebrows, eyes, nose, ears and neck in the form of sharply demarcated red, scaly plaques. It has the tendency to be symmetrical and could be itchy with mild skin sensitivity.
When it affects the area around the ears, the scales can block the external ear canal leading to a temporary loss of hearing.
When the area around the eyes is affected, there could be inflammation, dryness and discomfort and also impairment of sight. The edges of the eyelids could become red and crusty and scales cover the lashes. Over time the rims of the eyelids may turn up or down. If the rims turn down there could be further irritation as a result of the lashes rubbing against the eyeballs.
In rare cases, psoriasis affects the gums, inner cheeks, tongue, inside the nose and on the lips. It presents as white or grey lesions in these areas and causes discomfort due to difficulty experienced while chewing and swallowing food.
Dandruff is also a common feature of this condition.
- As in the case with psoriasis in general, facial psoriasis is mainly due to the result of a defective immune system which causes inflammation and overproduction of skin cells.
- Genetics also plays a role in the development of facial psoriasis. One out of ten persons has genes which make them susceptible to the condition.
- Drugs such as lithium, heart medications, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) and anti-malarial medications.
- Other environmental influences such as stress, injuries, infections, allergies, diet, weather, smoking and excess alcohol.
- Photosensitivity caused due to ultraviolet radiation.
- An infection caused by ‘malassezia’, a fungi naturally found on the skin.
Facial psoriasis should be treated very carefully as the skin on the face is very sensitive. Creams and ointments should be used sparingly as they could irritate the eyes.
Mild topical steroids or corticosteroids may be effective but their long-term use could cause thinning of the skin.
Retinoids help in removing scales and decreasing inflammation. Tazarotene gel or Tazorac is a retinoid.
Synthetic Vitamin D in the form of ointment or cream such as calcipotrene (Dovonex) and calcitriol may be prescribed to slow down the production of skin cells.
Phototherapy using UV light is another option to produce Vitamin D in the skin.
If the above forms of treatment do not prove effective, then certain medications such as methotrexate and cyclosporine can be administered orally, by injection or infusion to treat the psoriasis.
Regular use of ample amounts of moisturizers is very important to keep scales under control and improve the condition of the skin.
Facial Psoriasis Home remedies
There are many home remedies to manage facial psoriasis.
- Use thick and heavy moisturizers such as petroleum jelly immediately after bathing and before bedtime to reduce dryness and scaling.
- While bathing care should be taken to use lukewarm and not hot water. Bathing salts, oil or oatmeal should be added to the water.
- Get some exposure to the sun everyday but the unaffected parts of the body should be protected with an effective sunscreen.
- Quit smoking as it is known to worsen psoriasis.
- Alcohol should be consumed moderately or avoided completely.
- Maintain weight with a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables and adequate exercise as there is a link between obesity and psoriasis.
- Eliminate certain foods such as white flour, sugar, caffeine and gluten.
- Join a support group for people with psoriasis or seek therapy from a psychologist to take care of mental health in order to eliminate anxiety and low self-esteem.
Try Improvised home remedies for quick Cure.